Like education, optimal healthcare is a prerequisite for a good quality of life. Toronto has long been focused on providing the finest health care to its citizens ranging from preventative programs to world class hospitals and medical centres. Torontonians enjoy sophisticated, abundant and comprehensive array of hospital services in Canada.
Access to provincial health care is provided under the Ontario Health Insurance Program (OHIP), a publicly funded, single payer system which funds medically necessary hospital and physician services. Ontario also covers a wide range of other health services including a variety of community and mental health services, a portion of the cost of long-term care facilities and most of the cost of prescription drugs for seniors, people on social assistance and for Ontario residents who face high drug costs.
Health Care Facts
- Canadian doctors run their own private practices, just like they do in the United States.
- Every Canadian doctor deals only with one insurer, the provincial government where their practice is located.
- Ontario's publicly funded health care system is recognized as among the best in the world for quality service, facilities and administration.
- Canadian doctors rely on the Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA) for affordable liability coverage.
- There are no insurance deductibles or co-payment fees on basic health care.
World Renowned Medical Centres
Toronto has the most sophisticated and comprehensive array of hospitals in Canada.